John Sylvester Feehan

John Feehan & wife. Photo sourced from Balnarring Historical Society notes ‘Snippets About Coolart”

John Sylvester Feehan purchased Coolart in 1925. He was a well known race horse owner and pastoralist. His most successful horse, ‘Mountain God’ won the Australian Grand National Steeplechase¬†in 1921 and 1922 and is buried at Coolart.

John owned Coolart during the 1920’s and 30’s eventually selling the property to Thomas Luxton in 1937, due to failing health. In 1931 he donated land from Coolart to be used for the establishment of a permanent camp, Lord Somers Camp. John Feehan died in 1939